- 2017.02- present Senior Researcher in Engineering and Microscopy, Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford
My current role largely corresponds to that of Researcher Co-investigator under EPSRC Caries project (EP/P005381/1), but also encompasses a broader remit of responsibilities that include guiding other junior researchers engaged in related and ‘feeder’ projects; making strategic decisions about research directions and the acquisition or development of new experimental capabilities; maintaining close links with collaborators involved in modelling and the reduction to practice of the newly developed approaches.
- 2014.04- 2017.01 Postdoctoral Research Assistant, Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford
In this role, I enjoy taking responsibility for project management and operations, and independence in selecting different material problems. I am in charge of a range of lab facilities underpinning multiple research projects in biomaterials, artificial dental materials, structural polymers, composites, lithium-ion batteries, microsystems, and metallic alloys. These have allowed me to become an expert in multi-modal X-ray as well as multi-beam microscopy techniques. My expertise also includes analytical and numerical methods for validation against experimental observations and for solution of problems in mechanics and physics of materials. My achievement is reflected in my publications in a range of highly ranked journals, including Nature Communications, Nano Energy, etc. I co-authored an invited book chapter and conference contributions
- BEng Engineering Mechanics, Xi’an Jiaotong University, China (2009) Fourth year project title ”Three-dimensional fluid-structure interaction modelling on abdominal aortic aneurysm“
- Doctor of Philosophy (DPhil) in the Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford, U.K. (2014) Thesis title “Thermal-mechanical behaviour of hierarchical structure of human dental tissue“
Her research interests concern microstructure characterization and multi-scale modelling of thermal and mechanical behaviour of hierarchically structured human dental tissues using multi-modal X-ray techniques (Diffraction, Imaging and Spectroscopy), as well as multi-beam microscopy techniques (FIB, SEM, EDX, EBSD, STEM, Raman and TOF-SIMS). Her expertise also includes analytical and numerical methods for the solution of problems in the mechanics and physics of materials used to validate experimental observations and help establish fundamental understanding of the architecture and function of natural and engineered materials.
- I am participating in a research project approved as the major program of scientific instrument research by National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), with Shanghai Jiaotong University (China) and Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility (China) (Awarded, I am responsible for 10% of the total grant of over ~£1M).
- I am the Researcher Co-Investigator for EPSRC grant (EP/P005381/1 : Tackling human dental caries by multi-modal correlative microscopy and multi-physics modelling) by the University of Oxford and University of Birmingham on the topic of human dental caries. (Awarded, ~£1.8M).
- ‘Learning, Teaching and Assessing’ certificate from SEDA, aligned to the UK Professional Standards Framework at Descriptor 2 (equivalent to Fellow of the Higher Education Academy).
- Tutor in Engineering Science, St Anne’s College, University of Oxford
- Tutor in Engineering Science, Oriel College, University of Oxford
- Demonstrator (TA) for Dynamics Laboratory, Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford
- Visiting Staff of Research Complex at Harwell (RCaH)
- Research Committee Member, Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford
- Visiting Researcher, Tescan Ltd., Brno, Czech Republic
- Technical Committee Member of International Conference on Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (ICMAE), (UK, 2016; Czech Republic, 2017)
- Program Committee Member, International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists (IMECS), Hong Kong, China
- Program Committee Member, World Congress on Engineering (WCE), London, UK
- Scientific Advisory Committee Member, Advances in Functional Materials (AFM), Los Angeles, USA, 2017
- “Building a Business” certificate, Saïd Business School, University of Oxford
- ProfGradIMMM, The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3)
- Full publication list:
Google Scholar: google.com/citations?user=9TFOt-sAAAAJ&sortby=pubdate
- Invited talks:
- Tan Sui, Shanghai No. 9 People’s Hospital, Shanghai, China, 2017.
- Tan Sui, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, China, 2016.
- Tan Sui, Investigation of hierarchical architecture of electrospun nanofibers with synchrotron X-ray techniques, ICSST, Singapore, 2016.
- Tan Sui, The hierarchical mechanics of mineralised human dental tissues, World Congress on Engineering, London, UK, 2016.
- Tan Sui, The development of Materials & Design journal scope and impact, with examples of recent work on FIB-DIC from MBLEM Oxford, ICMAE, London, UK, 2016.
- Tan Sui, National University of Science and Technology (MISiS), Moscow, Russia, 2016.
- Tan Sui, Hierarchical modelling and X-ray analysis of human dental tissues, British-Russian workshop: Mathematical modelling in physiology: biomedical applications, Moscow, Russia, 2016
- Tan Sui, Beihang University, Beijing, China, 2015.
- Tan Sui, Xi’an Jiaotong University, Xi’an, China, 2015.
- Tan Sui, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China, 2015.
- Tan Sui, Multi-Beam Engineering Microscopy – a Versatile Tool for Energy Materials Studies, Oxford University and KETEP, KIER, KERI, Fourth Annual Workshop, Oxford, UK, 2015.
- “Excellent Oral Presentation” International Conference on Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (ICMAE), 2016 (ICMAE 2016)
- “Best Paper Award” for IAENG International Conference on Engineering Physics, 2015 (IMECS 2015)
- “Certificate of Merit” for the World Congress on Engineering (WCE) 2015
- “Certificate of Merit” for IAENG International Conference on Scientific Computing, 2014 (IMECS 2014)
- “Best Paper Award” for the World Congress on Engineering (WCE) 2014
- “Best Paper Award” for the 13th International Conference on Fracture (ICF13)
- Piano: pianist of amateur level 10 (China)
Certification authority: Chinese Musicians’ Association