Education & Qualifications
- Chartered Engineering (CEng) registration, IET, UK (2018)
- DPhil, Engineering Science, University of Oxford, UK (2017)
- MSc, Mechanical Engineering, University of Ferrara, Italy (2011)
- BSc, Mechanical Engineering, University of Ferrara, Italy (2009)
Enrico’s research mainly focuses on the evaluation and modelling of residual stress across the scales, as well as fatigue and fracture problems in processed, welded and additively manufactured metallic materials. He is also interested in biomaterials with hierarchical structure (i.e. human teeth and bamboo) and shape memory effect in polymeric materials. Enrico is often involved in industry-oriented projects aimed at assessing the performance of engineering components and structures, particularly for aerospace applications.
A wide range of experimental techniques, at length-scales ranging from macro- nano-scale, are usually involved in his experimental works (e.g. synchrotron-based X-ray, Electron/Ion Microscopy and related techniques, static and cyclic load-controlled tests etc). He also enjoys using Finite Element Methods for the numerical modelling of results from experiments. He is an active peer reviewer for a number of renowned international journals in the fields of Solid Mechanics and Materials.
Alongside research activity, at University of Oxford Enrico enjoys engaging students. In fact, he is currently Lecturer at Lady Margaret Hall (LMH) college and Tutor at the Department of Engineering Science.
- E. Salvati, L. R. Brandt, F. Uzun, H. Zhang, C. Papadaki, A. M. Korsunsky. Multiscale Analysis of Bamboo Deformation Mechanisms Following NaOH Treatment Using X-ray and Correlative Microscopy. (2018) Acta Biomaterialia. DOI:10.1016/j.actbio.2018.03.050
- E. Salvati, A.M. Korsunsky. A Simplified FEM Eigenstrain Residual Stress Reconstruction for Surface Treatments in Arbitrary 3D Geometries. (2018) International Journal of Mechanical Sciences. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2018.02.016
- E. Salvati, A.M. Korsunsky. An analysis of macro- and micro-scale residual stresses of Type I, II and III using FIB-DIC micro-ring-core milling and crystal plasticity FE modelling. (2017) International Journal of Plasticity. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijplas.2017.07.004
- E. Salvati, A.J.G. Lunt, S. Ying, T. Sui, H.J. Zhang, C. Heason, G. Baxter, A.M. Korsunsky. Eigenstrain Reconstruction of Residual Strains in an Additively Manufactured and Shot Peened Nickel Superalloy Compressor Blade. (2017) Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. DOI: 10.1016/j.cma.2017.03.005
- E. Salvati, H. Zhang, K.S. Fong, X. Song, A. M. Korsunsky. Separating Plasticity-Induced Closure and Residual Stress Contributions to Fatigue Crack Retardation Following an Overload. (2016) Journal of Mechanics and Physics of Solids. DOI: 10.1016/j.jmps.2016.10.001
- E. Salvati, T. Sui, A.J.G. Lunt, A.M. Korsunsky. The effect of eigenstrain induced by ion beam damage on the apparent strain relief in FIB-DIC residual stress evaluation. Materials & Design, Volume 92, 15 February (2016), Pages 649-658. DOI: 10.1016/j.matdes.2015.12.015
Full list of publications is available here:
More details are available on: